The vocabulary of a language is, of course, the single most important aspect in communicating.
When we learn speech as children, we begin by learning words.
- Grammar DOES become very important for learners wishing to communicate more effectively, but:
- Beginners can conduct communicate using just words (and gestures).
So… what is the best way of going about learning vocabulary?
Here are some tips:
- Do some research on the internet – what are the 100 / 500 / 1,000 most used words in the object language?
- Learn words in phrases – a context will make remembering words easier
- Make lists and flash cards (for more, see below)
- Speak the words aloud
- Associate words or phrases with gestures or tone of voice
- Associate words with pictures or colors – draw them next to the words
- READ! Start with a children’s book with pictures and figure things out.
For more tips, see Self Study.