DVDs are a great medium for learning languages — one that did not exist until not too many years ago.
I have found the follwoing to be the best way to use DVDs as a language learning tool:
1. Choose a film you have already seen many times and/or really love… you already know the plot and are familiar with many scenes.
It is best to use a DVD with sound AND subtitles in both your native and in your target language.
For beginners — a film for children or a TV show episode (shorter length).
2. Watch the DVD — sound: native language ll subtitles: target language
3. Now watch it again — sound: target ll subtitels: native
4. Then watch it again — sound and subtitles in target language
5. Finally… Go for it! — sound only in target language
* Repeat scenes you find interesting or useful.
And don’t forget — have fun with it!